Since its summer I wanted to do a post on my summer makeup essentials. I narrowed it down to five products that I just have to have during the summer because they are my “go-to” products. As the weather warms up I try not to wear a lot of makeup, but if I’m out and about I still like to look nice. These products help me achieve a “put together” look without being too overdone and still looking quite natural.
1. BB Cream- I definitely prefer to wear a BB cream during the summer because it’s more lightweight than foundation but still offers more coverage than a typical tinted moisturizer. They generally contain SPF which is great for protecting your skin from the sun. Depending on your needs, BB creams can also contain other skin care ingredients to help control oil, diminish wrinkles or provide extra hydration.
*What I use*- Lioele Triple the Solution BB cream. I don’t believe this comes in a variety of colors but luckily it matches me pretty well. I would say it’s a light/medium beige color. I’ve read some reviews that say it has yellow undertones but mine has a cooler undertone so I’m not sure what that’s all about. This provides medium to full coverage but you can still get a lighter coverage by applying less product. I have to purchase mine from Amazon but I know there are other websites you can get it from as well.
2. Waterproof Mascara- I know not everyone may like waterproof mascara but I always wear it because I never want to worry about mascara transferring onto my lids or running my face. Most of the time I wear black mascara but sometimes I’ll wear brown because it tends to look more natural since it’s not as dark. I also wear mascara because it helps to define my eyes and make me look more awake.
*What I use*-Maybelline the Classic Volum’ Express Mascara Waterproof. This mascara dries really well so it never transfers onto my skin or runs down my face if it gets wet. I love that it makes my lashes look extremely full which is how I prefer my lashes to look.
3. Cream Blush- Overall, using cream products helps give a more natural look over powder products since they give a more dewy appearance. Since I use a BB cream as my base makeup I like to add some color back into my cheeks to help my skin look more radiant and healthy. Cream products also tend to last longer without fading.
*What I use*- NYX Cream Blush in Boho Chic. A light cool toned pink. It’s not too intense or opaque so you can build up the color to whatever you prefer. This color is perfect to add the right amount of pink to your cheeks but still look natural. It’s also very hydrating and easy to blend.
4. Brow Gel- Only over the past year or so, have I really started paying attention to my brows. I love brow gels because they are so easy to apply and offer the right amount of definition to frame the eyes. Having well-groomed and defined brows really helps to bring shape and definition to the face. A brow gel also looks most natural in my opinion.
*What I use*- Benefit Gimme Brow in Medium/Deep. This brow gel helps to add some fullness to my brows by filling in sparse areas. It also helps to keep my brow hairs in place and is water resistant. The tiny wand makes it easy to get product right where you want it instead of where you don’t.
5. Lip Balm with SPF- Not only does your face need SPF but your lips as well. Keeping your lips protected from the sun is very important and often people forget to protect their lips. Using a lip balm is great because you also keep you lips moisturized and healthy looking.
*What I use*- Maybelline Baby Lips in Quenched. From what I can tell, I think this is the only one with sunscreen because it’s the only one that says so. It has an SPF of 20 so you know you’re getting some good protection. It’s also extremely hydrating and keeps my lips smooth.
These are just the very basic makeup products that I like to use during the day in the summer. You can add other products like bronzer, eye liner or lipstick in the evening to dress up the look a little more as well. For the most part though, I always gravitate towards very simple and more natural looks during the summer.
What are your top 5 summer essential products?